WHAT IS COACHING?
Coaching verses Therapy
Thank you for your inquiry into my coaching services and learning more about what coaching is and what it isn't. I hope to answer some of questions you may have, and provide you with some insight as to how we might work together to change your life for the better.
Some of your questions may involve the following:
Is This Therapy?
No, coaching is NOT therapy. While both are very valuable in moving you past roadblocks in life, their approaches differ in many ways. Coaching is about taking you from where you are now and moving you forward. Therapy often involves extensively examining your past to define how you got here in the first place. Additionally, there are some clients who benefit from working with both professionals concurrently. Finally, and foremost, coaches do not diagnose or treat any psychiatric disorders.
So, What is Coaching?
In short, it’s a collaborative process, in which I help you define, speak out loud, and strategically move toward what you really want in life. I will help you find success as you define it - and deserve it!
How Will You Help Me Do That?
Bringing to our relationship my personal, professional and educational experience allows me to utilize many skills in our work together.
- I listen to you - not for judgment, but for understanding
- I ask questions that allow you to think in new and revealing ways
- I motivate, encourage and support you every step of the way
- I share resources that will assist you and provide good information
- I help you reveal, define and then focus on your true passions and dreams
- I co-create a supportive structures and environments in your life - ones you can count on
- I hold you to your inner highest standard - accountable to your personal best!
Who Uses a Coach?
Individuals, families, small companies, large corporations and....you! Coaching is found in every industry and situation you can imagine. Life provides an abundance of circumstances, coaching provides and abundance of support.
Successful Coaching Clients Typically Have a Few Factors In Common:
- They are willing to ask questions and challenge perceptions.
- They are willing to reveal the truth, learn from it and take action.
- They have a vision, although frequently clouded, of a better life.
- They are highly functioning, intelligent people with a desire to realize their best.
How Long Should I Expect To Need a Coach?
The average amount of time clients keep their coaches varies based by client and situation. I request a 90-day minimum commitment from my clients. I find it allows their success to evolve more effectively since our relationship has some time to grow.
One of my definitions of success is when we end our relationship! Of course, that's because you’ve finally got less of, and more of, the things you want - we’ve succeeded. And most importantly, you’ve got the skills to keep it that way.
What Types of Things Do I Work On With You as My Coach?
What you want and What you need. I define it as having less and having more.
Having Less: fear, frustration, boredom, resentment, disappointment, doubt, confusion, overwhelm, indecision, exhaustion, emotional and financial bankruptcy.
Having More: Joy, hope, confidence, balance, abundance, peace, energy, motivation, clarity, action, time, fun, productivity, freedom, courage, and money.
Seriously, Can You Really Do All That?
No, not without you! This isn’t a get the “Cliff Notes” to happiness program; it’s more like a gym. I’m your personal trainer and I provide the equipment and the environment for you to succeed. You have my resources and training at your disposal - BUT - it’s up to you to use them. We share the responsibility of this journey together. I will hold you accountable to your word, and remind you we're in this together!
So, my answer is yes - passionately, wildly, YES, we can do all that and more!
What Kind Of Resources Are You Talking About?
I have a treasure trove of goodies in addition to our regular coaching sessions, like - Program Homework, Assessments Tests, Reading, Referrals, Writing Exercises and Action Assignments. We’ll select what’s best for you, and in the end, probably use them all!
How Do We Do This Coaching Thing?
One of the greatest testaments to the power of coaching is that it is powerfully effective in many mediums. Some coaches have local “face to face” practices and some do speaking tours. Corporate coaches often go on site to deliver their programs.
Many coaches have international practices sustained entirely via phone or video conferencing I utilize several methods to best serve my clients needs, but most often it's as easy as picking up the phone!
- Career Advancement: You want to reach higher and aspire to maximize your earning potential.
- Career Change: Your career no longer suites you and you want to pivot to a new industry role or both.
- Career Optimization: You like your work, but there’s friction and you feel overwhelmed, unfulfilled – you wonder “Is this all there is?”
- Career Planning: You want to plan ahead to create a career path that leads to greater job satisfaction and success.
- Career Development: You want to tap into what truly lights you up and gets you excited to get out of bed on a Monday morning and go to work. You want to gain career clarity that encompasses your true interests, passions, natural talents, character strengths and skills.
- Career Marketability: You need to know how to package your assets and up-level your personal brand such, as your resume, cover letter and LinkedIn Profile.
- Whole Life Coaching: Simply when your professional life is getting personal and you feel yourself heading into career burnout trying to juggle, work, family, health, etc.